A History of the Charismatic Movements
DetailsNumber of Lessons: 24Avg. Lesson Length: 44 MinutesTime Required: 35 Hours MinimumLevel: Advanced
Charismatic theology is more than just a theology of spiritual gifts; worship, bibliology, sanctification, and ecclesiology are also central. Learners will complete a historical and theological study of the origins and developments of Classical Pentecostalism, Charismatic Renewalism, and Restoration Movements, with emphasis given to theological backgrounds and trends. Lectures also analyze other related movements, including the Jesus Only Movement, the Vineyard Movement, and the Toronto Revival Movement. Throughout the course, the pros and cons of the various charismatic movements are presented.
Excellent material that gave me a clearer understanding of the charismatic movement.Annabelle
ProfessorJohn D. Hannah, PhD, ThD
- Yale University, Postdoctoral Fellowship in American Studies
- University of Texas at Dallas, PhD
- Southern Methodist University, MA
- Dallas Theological Seminary, ThM and ThD
- Philadelphia College of the Bible, BS
- Trace the history of the Pentecostal Movement from its origin in the American Holiness Movement to its current manifestation, Charismatic Renewalism, and the varieties of Restorationism.
- Move toward a formulation (or clearer understanding) of such concepts as spiritual power and victory for himself/herself. At the minimum, the course purposes to discover the questions that must be asked in order to formulate a cogent statement of the “victorious Christian life.”
- Gain insight into the nature and defense of Pentecostal and Charismatic distinctives, as well as the theological changes that have taken and are taking place in the movement.
- Understand theological differences among Holiness, Pentecostal, Charismatic, and Restorationists groups, as well as theological change within those groups.
- Gain insight into the contribution of Pentecostalism to the religious history of the American people, the nation, and the world.
- Gain insight and understanding into the status and contemporary trends among Charismatics.
- See and understand the issues with which the Pentecostal/Charismatic Renewalists churches are currently grappling.
- Become knowledgeable of the major formulators and the propagators of Pentecostalism, both their biography and theology.
- Have facilities for personal research with a view to using the course in future ministries.
- Obtain an in-depth knowledge of available bibliography including the original sources.