Basics of Biblical GreekSubscribe to Access
Basics of Biblical Greek
DetailsNumber of Lessons: 34Avg. Lesson Length: 27 MinutesTime Required: 31 Hour MinimumLevel: Advanced
Understanding and applying Scripture requires many tools. However, one tool stands above the rest: the biblical languages. Alongside OT Hebrew, biblical Greek is vital for anyone who desires to dig deep into the biblical text, teach it and apply it to the life of the Church. This course introduces the basic grammar, syntax and vocabulary of biblical Greek, preparing the learner to translate, interpret and apply Scripture. Dr Mounce treats the language primarily as a tool for ministry and skillfully minimizes memory work by emphasizing how the language works. Students begin working with the biblical text immediately and find numerous illustrations of the benefits of Greek that will motivate them for this study and for a lifetime of insight.
This course is part of our Legacy Series of courses from renowned scholars over several decades.
ProfessorWilliam D. Mounce, PhD
- Aberdeen University, PhD
- Fuller Theological Seminary, MA
- Bethel College, BA
- Understand the basic grammar and syntax of biblical Greek.
- Know 320 Greek vocabulary words—almost 80% of the total word count of the NT.
- Translate many verses of the New Testament and Septuagint.
- Use biblical Greek as a tool for ministry to better communicate God’s Word.
- Utilize commentaries and biblical resources that require knowledge of the Greek language.
- Appreciate the value of the Greek language for Bible study, interpretation, and application to the daily life of faith.
- Apply Greek language studies to future life and ministry.