Biblical HermeneuticsSubscribe to Access
DetailsNumber of Lessons: 12Avg. Lesson Length: 41 MinutesTime Required: 16 Hours MinimumLevel: Advanced
The term hermeneutics can be intimidating. It sounds academic and is foreign to most of our vocabularies. However, the act of interpretation is as common as communication itself. This course will instruct in various parameters for biblical interpretation and will show how specific methods are applied to Bible study.
It was very informative. Thank you and God bless you.Faith
I have learnt a lot from the course.Olakunle
ProfessorWalter C. Kaiser, Jr., PhD
- Brandeis University, MA and PhD
- Wheaton College, BA and BD
- Understand the characteristics of a good interpreter of Scripture.
- Defend your position on whether a passage of Scripture can have only one or multiple meanings.
- Describe the basic assumptions of the liberal schools of higher criticism of the Bible.
- Articulate particular biblical theologies that provide argument for the unity for all of Scripture.
- Identify and interpret literary devices used in biblical narratives.
- Formulate teaching or preaching outlines of biblical narrative passages.
- Appreciate the depth of understanding of Scripture that can be reached by a more complete understanding of poetry, proverbs, and allegory.
- Recognize key interpretive clues as you approach the study of prophetic passages of Scripture.
- Defend the relevance of the Old Testament for today’s world.
- Understand the importance of context in correctly interpreting Scripture.
- Cite numerous principles to be applied in seeking theological truths from Scripture.
- Develop an attitude of both confidence and caution in interpreting Scripture doctrinally.
- Explain the right relationship between authorial intent and the role of the reader in determining the meaning of a text.
- Show how cultural aspects of the Bible can be used to teach overarching truths.
- Discuss the concept of principlized application of Scripture to contemporary issues.
- Commit to a regular practice of devotional Bible reading, prayer, and meditation.
ActivitiesAudio LecturesTranscriptsOutlinesQuizzes & Exams
Dr. Kaiser is an awesome teacher. It took me a little while to catch onto his dry sense of humor, but it became endearing as the course went on.Denise
Absolutely loved this class and Dr. Kaiser. Will recommend to many others. I’ve learned so much it’s amazing!menLauren
This course helped me to better understand how to understand the Bible without making presumptions on just one verse; instead to research it further. Also, it encouraged me to get back into a regular devotional time and to try meditation with the aid of the Holy Spirit more regularly. It gave me a deeper respect for the validity of the Word of God. With all the scholars that investigated for so many centuries, it proves it is a book to be regarded with reverence and stands up in a world that is getting to be too proud to seek its wisdom.Anita
The notes I will review and use for life.Donald
Dr. Kaiser presented each lesson in a way that was upbeat yet thorough in its teaching.Kim
I believe this lecturer, Dr. Kaiser, is one of the most charming and engaging teachers I have come across while at CUGN. I did find his style a bit difficult to follow. I don’t think this course is recommended for a new Believer or for someone new to the Bible, as he tends to spot teach on certain characters or Bible events. However, the seasoned saint will find this series beneficial. It’s like curling up with your pastor and a small group in his living room and listening to him just talk. I would like to take other courses by Dr. Kaiser if they are available. Thank you for offering this one.Pamela
This course was very informative and enlightening, would highly recommend taking them.Ingrid
I enjoyed the course; learned quite a bit of information. I will be looking for other courses being taught by Dr. Kaiser. Thank you!Lindsey
This is an excellent course. I have learned principles that will help to search deeper in order to interpret the meaning of Word of God. I am grateful for the opportunity.Tennie