Care and Counseling in Correctional MinistrySubscribe to Access
Care and Counseling in Correctional Ministry
DetailsNumber of Lessons: 24Avg. Lesson Length: 30 MinutesTime Required: 24 Hours MinimumLevel: Advanced
This course provides an introduction to the unique challenges and strategies involved in care and counseling within a correctional setting as presented by correctional staff, the incarcerated and the families of offenders. Focus will be given to an introductory knowledge of the problems of human suffering, biblical foundations for care in ministry, rudimentary person-to-person helping skills, as well as general counseling theories and techniques applicable to the correctional setting. Consideration will be given to ethical issues, knowing one’s limits of competence and knowledge, and of when and to whom one should refer.
I learned that each being’s life experiences can be tragic at times and joyous at others. It reminds me of Job’s story. Through it all, he learned how to stand humbly in His Creator’s presence.Carrie
It was good for me personally to learn more about counseling and more about domestic abuse since I work with incarcerated women and a great deal of them have abusive relationships in their backgrounds and the things I learned in this course will help me to better minister to them.Rhonda
- Northern Illinois University, EdD
- Western Michigan University, MA
- Calvin College, BS
- Cornerstone University, BA
- Balance compassion and care within a corrections environment.
- Access personal giftedness and preparedness for addressing counseling challenges within a correctional setting.
- Describe an integrative approach to counseling which combines psychology, theology and spirituality.
- Explain how to apply various spiritual formation practices in counseling sessions.
- Develop and practice core helping skills essential for effective pastoral care and counsel.
- Demonstrate motivational interviewing skills.
- Explore ethical issues and professional limits of pastoral care and counsel and identify available resources for partnering.
- Identify strategies for common counseling areas with inmates and staff.
- Interview a corrections mental health counselor and identify the mental health services at a corrections facility.
- Research a counseling topic of inmates or staff and provide strategies for healing.
ActivitiesVideo LecturesAudio LecturesTranscriptsOutlinesDiscussion QuestionsHandoutsQuizzes & Exams
I learned how to counsel with practical biblical strategies and tools.Anonymous
Content was excellent and relevant.Anonymous
Could not have received this training which I needed any other way.Anonymous