He Gave Us Scripture: Foundations of Interpretation
DetailsNumber of Lessons: 11Avg. Lesson Length: 52 MinutesTime Required: 19 Hours MinimumLevel: Advanced
Evangelical Christians affirm the Scriptures as God’s inerrant word, but we still disagree sometimes over the meaning of particular verses or passages, and these differences can influence our Christian doctrine and practice. One reason for these disagreements is that there are many different approaches to interpreting the Bible. But how do we know which approach to interpretation is the most responsible? This course will help answer that question. It is based on the lecture series, He Gave Us Scripture: Foundations of Interpretation, produced by Third Millennium Ministries and hosted by Dr. Richard L. Pratt, Jr. with contributions from a variety of professors.
ProfessorRichard L. Pratt Jr., ThD
- Harvard University, ThD
- Union Theological Seminary, MDiv
- Roanoke College with advanced studies at Westminster Theological Seminary, BA
- Understand the fundamental principles of biblical interpretation, including the terminology and history of hermeneutics, the biblical approach to meaning, the unique nature of the Scriptures, and the proper way to discover the original meaning of a passage and apply it to our modern context.
- Grow in your desire to study the Scriptures carefully and to discover the best approach to interpret them.
- Apply the guidelines of this course to develop appropriate habits of biblical interpretation.