Old Testament BasicsSubscribe to Access
Old Testament Basics
DetailsNumber of Lessons: 10Avg. Lesson Length: 15 MinutesTime Required: 8 Hour MinimumLevel: Basic
Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jonah, Samson, and David. Have you heard of these people? Their stories are part of the Old Testament and are important even today. This study of the Old Testament will help you understand how all the stories found in the Old Testament fit together and what lessons can be applied to your life today. You will walk away with a better understanding of how God graciously reaches out to you, His child, and calls you to Himself just as He did to His people in the Old Testament.
I have studied the Bible for over 40 years and yet found the insights and structure led me to new understandings. An excellent course as a refresher.Wes
I am very pleased with this course and it’s content. I enjoyed Dr. Buzzell’s class instructions.
The course has blessed me richly and I want to continue on with the New Testament section as well as more Old Testament courses.
ProfessorSid Buzzell, PhD
- Michigan State University, PhD
- Dallas Theological Seminary, ThM
- Philadelphia College of the Bible, BS
- Describe what the Old Testament teaches us about God’s character.
- Understand why the Old Testament books are placed in the order that they are and identify the categories of books contained within the Old Testament.
- Explain the characteristics of each of the categories of books in the Old Testament.
- Identify the four eras (or periods) into which the Old Testament is divided.
- Understand the general narrative flow and major events in Old Testament history.
- Describe the important people in the Old Testament and their contribution to Old Testament history.
- Gain a deeper understanding of the authors of the Old Testament books, their purpose, and the context in which they were writing.
- Know the characteristics of Hebrew poetry and gain a deeper understanding of wisdom literature.
- Understand the context of the Prophets and summarize their collective eternal message.
Spiritual Growth FoundationsDetails
Christian Leadership FoundationsDetails
Bible Study FoundationsDetails
I feel the course was helping understand from an overview perspective on how the Old Testament was constructed and pieced together in a manner that helped make better sense of it, allowing me to follow where everything ties together even though it is not organized as each book leading to the next.Richard
Information covered logically and very thoroughly.Cecil
It was very interesting how books fit together and not necessarily in the manner they are listed in the Bible. This method of arranging books gave a much wider understanding of the Old Testament.Aileen
Excellent way to learn and grow.Aaron
I thought this was very good and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in learning more about God and the Bible.William
This course is valuable to Bible students at any level because it has insights that will assist the student in future study of the Old Testament. I have been a Bible student most of my adult life but learned new and exciting things during this class.Richard
A big thank you. I was able to understand Old Testament and it will help me a lot in my readings. More blessings!Gemma
That was a very large and clear guide of the Old Testament from beginning to end. Also, very rich in examples that moved the training along very nicely.Stephen
I enjoyed learning about the basics of the OT. I learned a lot from the lectures! When I first started, I was thinking, Why do we have to know this? but as I continued on with the lessons, it all started to fit together. Now as I continue the OT studies, at least I have some background to fall back on!Darlene