Old Testament Basics
DetailsNumber of Lessons: 10Avg. Lesson Length: 15 MinutesTime Required: 8 Hours MinimumLevel: Basic
Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jonah, Samson, and David. Have you heard of these people? Their stories are part of the Old Testament and are important even today. This study of the Old Testament will help you understand how all the stories found in the Old Testament fit together and what lessons can be applied to your life today. You will walk away with a better understanding of how God graciously reaches out to you, His child, and calls you to Himself just as He did to His people in the Old Testament.
ProfessorSid Buzzell, PhD
- Michigan State University, PhD
- Dallas Theological Seminary, ThM
- Philadelphia College of the Bible, BS
- Describe what the Old Testament teaches us about God’s character.
- Understand why the Old Testament books are placed in the order that they are and identify the categories of books contained within the Old Testament.
- Explain the characteristics of each of the categories of books in the Old Testament.
- Identify the four eras (or periods) into which the Old Testament is divided.
- Understand the general narrative flow and major events in Old Testament history.
- Describe the important people in the Old Testament and their contribution to Old Testament history.
- Gain a deeper understanding of the authors of the Old Testament books, their purpose, and the context in which they were writing.
- Know the characteristics of Hebrew poetry and gain a deeper understanding of wisdom literature.
- Understand the context of the Prophets and summarize their collective eternal message.