Old Testament BasicsSubscribe to Access
Old Testament Basics
DetailsNumber of Lessons: 10Avg. Lesson Length: 15 MinutesTime Required: 8 Hours MinimumLevel: Basic
Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jonah, Samson, and David. Have you heard of these people? Their stories are part of the Old Testament and are important even today. This study of the Old Testament will help you understand how all the stories found in the Old Testament fit together and what lessons can be applied to your life today. You will walk away with a better understanding of how God graciously reaches out to you, His child, and calls you to Himself just as He did to His people in the Old Testament.
This is the first course of this kind, Bible study, that I’ve ever attempted. I loved it and couldn’t wait to get at the next lesson. I have purchased Ray Stedman’s “Adventuring through the Bible” as I found it wonderfully instructional and just good reading. This course gave me new clarity about the Old Testament’s purpose, structure, authorship and necessity to understand the whole Bible. Up next, New Testament Basics.Rockne
Dr. Buzzell performed an incredible task in excellent fashion of summarizing the Old Testament ! He took an extremely complex book and broke it into 10 short manageable pieces. I highly recommend this course to individuals, like myself, who have little knowledge of the Bible. I look forward to taking Dr.Buzzell’s course on the New Testament knowing I will acquire a thorough background of knowledge just as I have of the Old Testament. Thank you Dr. Buzzell!Patrick
ProfessorSid Buzzell, PhD
- Michigan State University, PhD
- Dallas Theological Seminary, ThM
- Philadelphia College of the Bible, BS
- Describe what the Old Testament teaches us about God’s character.
- Understand why the Old Testament books are placed in the order that they are and identify the categories of books contained within the Old Testament.
- Explain the characteristics of each of the categories of books in the Old Testament.
- Identify the four eras (or periods) into which the Old Testament is divided.
- Understand the general narrative flow and major events in Old Testament history.
- Describe the important people in the Old Testament and their contribution to Old Testament history.
- Gain a deeper understanding of the authors of the Old Testament books, their purpose, and the context in which they were writing.
- Know the characteristics of Hebrew poetry and gain a deeper understanding of wisdom literature.
- Understand the context of the Prophets and summarize their collective eternal message.
Spiritual Growth FoundationsDetails
Christian Leadership FoundationsDetails
Bible Study FoundationsDetails
This has motivated me to continue with more courses – informative and encouraging the student to keep going. Material is excellent – Thank you for this awesome course that I have just completedToni
Outstanding course, thank you!Anggara
Great lessons and information. The professor explains everything in detail and in an easy to understand manner. It is also entertaining along with the images, charts, and diagrams. I am really enjoying the coursework.David
This was GREAT! I love how the questions in the quizzes made you really have to interpret and understand the content. It was not simply just fact recall!!Carlee
I liked the organization of the scriptures and lessons. It was very efficient and helped me a lot. I was doing my own study in the Old Testament and this lined up to what I needed. I very much appreciate the studies.Brenda
The lessons are easy to understand and make me more hungry for God’s words.Florencio
I have studied the Bible for over 40 years and yet found the insights and structure led me to new understandings. An excellent course as a refresher.Wes
I am very pleased with this course and it’s content. I enjoyed Dr. Buzzell’s class instructions.
The course has blessed me richly and I want to continue on with the New Testament section as well as more Old Testament courses.
I feel the course was helping understand from an overview perspective on how the Old Testament was constructed and pieced together in a manner that helped make better sense of it, allowing me to follow where everything ties together even though it is not organized as each book leading to the next.Richard
Information covered logically and very thoroughly.Cecil