The Ancient Church
DetailsNumber of Lessons: 24Avg. Lesson Length: 44 MinutesTime Required: 35 Hours MinimumLevel: Advanced
We are indebted to the Church Fathers for the lasting influence of their lives and their works. This course covers the history of the ancient church (Pentecost to AD 500) and the men and writings of that era. Following a historical progression, the course covers the development of doctrine and the main figures in the Patristic Age. Lectures focus on the influential men like Irenaeus, Origen, Chrysostom, Athanasius,and Ausgustine. Significant creeds are also analyzed for their intentions, influence, and correctness. Throughout the course, students are prompted to evaluate their own beliefs as compared to historical orthodoxy.
This course was very interesting and deep for me. This is the first time I have ever did any kind study concerning the early church father. I’d like to learn more. Thank you so much for offering this course.
I enjoyed this course and a great deal of new information concerning the history of the doctrines of the Church and its practices. The recommended text book is very good and a great read and covers what I have had great interest and many questions concerning. Thank you for the opportunity to have studied this topic.
ProfessorRichard C. Gamble, ThD
- Universitat Basel, Switzerland, ThD
- Pittsburgh Theological Seminary, MA
- Westminster College, BA
- Understand the historical development of doctrine and how we came to believe what we do today.
- Know the creeds of the church and how they came to exist.
- Understand the theological mistakes of the past so as to prevent those errors from happening today.
- Understand the history of interpretation of the Scriptures.
- Appreciate the roots of today’s church.
- Appreciate the relation between church and state.
- Understand church government and its different shapes.