The Book of PsalmsSubscribe to Access
The Book of Psalms
DetailsNumber of Lessons: 24Avg. Lesson Length: 30 MinutesTime Required: 24 Hour MinimumLevel: Advanced
How important are songs in the life of Israel and the church? In this course, learners study the Book of Psalms, giving attention to the various forms of the Psalms and their function within the historical experience of Israel. The course begins by focusing on the formulation and interpretation of the Psalms. Students then examine in detail the various types of psalms: lament, royal, pilgrimage, wisdom, messianic, and Psalms of descriptive praise. Dr. Waltke gives sermonic treatment of selected psalms with application for today’s church.
This course is part of our Legacy Series of courses from renowned scholars over several decades.
ProfessorBruce K. Waltke, PhD
- Hebrew Union College in Jerusalem, postdoctoral fellow
- Harvard University, MA and PhD
- Dallas Theological Seminary, ThM and ThD
- Houghton College, AB
- Understand the historical setting and development of the Psalter.
- Analyze the various forms, contents, and settings of the Psalms.
- Acquire the ability to interpret the figures of speech found within the Psalms as a means of understanding the message of the Psalms.
- Demonstrate the application of the Psalms to the Church today.